There are millions of people working from home right now due to COVID-19, due to federal and state recommendations of social distancing. We know this can sometimes be a challenge, especially if you are also watching your kiddos while working from home.
First up, we have teleconferences. Many employers are using these to host meetings with employees as well as external contacts. Here are some tips to keep the meeting productive:
- The person who organized is the “meeting chair”.
- If you wish to speak, simply say your name. This helps keep interruptions to a minimum.
- When the current speaker is done, the “meeting chair” acknowledges who spoke their name, and that person now speaks.
- The “meeting chair” keeps track of who has requested to speak.
- If you are not speaking, it is always a good idea to mute your speaker so that any background noise will not interrupt the meeting.Second, we have video conferences.
Many companies are using Zoom, Google Hangouts, and other video chat platforms to stay connected with employees. Here are some tips to keep the meeting less distractive:
- Mute when you are not speaking.
- Dress appropriately. These are your co-workers.
- Recognize what your “backdrop” will be on the call.
- Don’t walk around your house while on the call.
- Make sure your laptop/computer is on a steady, flat surface.
Third, working from home with your kids can present challenges. Here are some tips to help make the most of your time:
- Make the most of your early morning hours and late evening hours.
- Use productive apps and tools: Slack, Evernote, Trello, Wunderlist etc.
- Create a designated workspace. This way children know that when you are in there, you are working.
- Keep your children busy and create a schedule for them.